Sunday, August 2, 2009

Big Changes

Just when you think your getting good at something...

In the last two days we have:  sold the motorbike, bought our neighbor's car, Joey shaved his goatee and was called into the bishopric.

First to the second most significant: Joey has shaved his goatee.  I am so sad.  I love it and have always wanted him to keep it when he talks about shaving it off.  But he felt it was the thing to do.  No one had said anything to him about it (that knew about the calling), but I guess the bishopric had bets going as to whether or not he'd shave it today.  He does look younger though.  

Next:  He was called into the Bishopric of our ward as the second counselor.  We found out a week and a half ago and let me tell you...not fun to keep a secret like that for that long!  He was sustained and set apart today.  As much as this was a surprise for us, he is really excited to serve.  Joe has a great love for people and a desire to do the best he can.  The Lord will just have to fill in the rest and we'll have a lot to learn together as we go through this.  Joey has been the scout master for a little over two years and has loved that calling.  He has done a lot of training for it and has recently really felt like he had the vision and was doing all he could.  Well I guess when the Lord figures you've learned what you could he decides to mix things up a bit :)  You would think you'd feel prepared for something like this.  But we don't.  I think it will be a huge blessing for us however and am excited to watch as we are taught and guided.

I do have to say though...it was really funny.  The last second counselor is our very next door neighbor.  A few months ago he got a job in Michigan and they decided to move.  The first thing I thought was: Joey's going to get called into the bishopric.  That was followed by...yeah right!  It was really a spiritual prompting or anything, but it wasn't a total shock when Joey got a call from the Stake Presidency and they asked him to come in...with his wife!

I am not so very excited about sitting in church by myself.  Kelley will be fine, but Tyler is my little monster boy.  Oh I hope he settles down a bit before the baby comes...

As far as the busy factor, I actually don't think it will be worse than having him in Scouts.  Seriously...he had meetings on Sundays probably only once or twice a month, but also was gone every Tuesday, the first Thursday of every month and one or two weekends a month.  That didn't include things like Scout Camp and flags and Woodbadge training.  I was already a Scout Widow, I can't imagine the bishopric will be much worse.  Although I think Sundays might get a little lonely for me.  But that also could be an opportunity.  Instead of lazing around my house all day like we normally do, maybe I'll have to find some kind of service or something I can do with the kids.  Hmmm....

Oh and I did the look-alike meters for both our kids.  It said they both look equally like both of us.  I thought that was pretty funny, but I'm not really surprised.  People are always telling us that they look like one or the other of us, but it just really varies which child they connect with who.  Also, one day I'll post some of our baby pictures online.  We actually have a lot in common as kids as well.  Funny stuff.

4 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I think the Spirit was definitely preparing you. When we heard whisperings of the ward split, I had the same thought about Joel, but dismissed it. But then, of course, it turned out happening. The same thing happened to me before I was called as RS President. I think we do need a little preparation for those big callings, and it's interesting how it comes.

Joey looks SO different without his goatee. Did it weird out your kids? My dad had a mustache forever until I was about 12, and then one day he shaved it off and it was really weird for me for weeks.

You're right, our Bishop is so great about not keeping the bishopric doing tons of meetings all the time. They do Tuesday night during the week, and only do other things (like girls camp or whatever) if they come up. Sundays are tough though. But you'll deal, I'm sure. Joey will be awesome in this calling!

Cameron and Nonie said...

Seriously, you'll probably see your husband more now than before, especially when he gets into the groove of things. Cameron was the YM Pres and was gone more and remained constantly busier than as a bishopric member.

Audrey said...

You will both do great I'm sure! That's so exciting

chrissy said...

wow, congrats on his new calling! once you get the hang of things, i'm sure it won't be so bad. ry is in scouts now, too. it takes a lot of your time!