Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bits and Pieces

Several quick, random thoughts tonight. Let's begin with something fun! I finally understand the experience that is...I had not up to last weekend ever been to IKEA. I had heard it was great, but couldn't really grasp why it was so cool. I heard people say they literally could spend a whole day there. Now I understand why. All I have to say is "You had me at Hello....may I take your children please for an hour free of charge while you shop without having to chase them all over this really cool store?" WOW! Joey and I went in to buy end tables and came out with over $200 worth of stuff. We finally found the organizer we've been trying to find for MONTHS! Just after we went out and bought bookshelves instead....ah well.

Anyway, it's a cool place. Tyler asks me every day when we can back to the "IKEA --the blue store." We'll definitely be going back there sometime I'm sure! Moving on...

I have never seen this TV show. I've heard the music and thought it was fun. My sisters seem to enjoy the show. So last night I saw it was on and decided to check it out. Little did I know I would have to shield my poor children's eyes! Flipped over to the channel and there they are in all their glory. These young teenage kids crawling all over each other singing "Like a Virgin". OK, so I guess I WON'T be checking it out after all! I highly doubt it was like this when it first started, but my first impression was not very good...

Finally I find it really interesting how relationships develop with people. I was in Walgreens last night. I had a checker that I've seen there before. He wasn't very nice to me before. Not really rude or anything, but had seemed annoyed by my coupon habit. So tonight I was in there and as I was checking out he mentioned he was a vegetarian. So I told him all about Bountiful Baskets. We had a small connection and by the time I left the store I felt like he was my little buddy. I think when I see him again he'll be really nice and we'll be "friends forever" (as much as you are with your local drugstore cashier...)

I always try not to judge people too harshly based on my first impression of them. I have SO often proved to be wrong. Another example: Back in the day I was waitressing and some customers walked in. I didn't really want to serve them because they looked "scruffy" and I was sure I wouldn't get a good tip from them. But I treated them just as kindly and served them just as nicely as I would anyone else. He ended up giving me the best tip I think I've ever had. He did claim to have just won a lawsuit or something, but I was seriously suprised.

So back to my point. I think there is something we can learn from everyone. And even if it doesn't seem like you have anything in common, you just might. It comes down to this: we ought to treat everyone with respect and kindness. You never know where it my lead and the small blessings you might receive from doing so, even if those blessings are just knowing you have made a connection with someone. I think THAT is priceless and it always makes my day when it happens.

2 comments:

Karmin said...

Yeah yesterdays show was pretty bad... it's kinda off and on... I watch it for the music...

Heather said...

I love IKEA! Seriously the best part is the free babysitting. Plus the cheap cool stuff that you feel like you can't live without. So honestly...I can't go there very often. Very bad for my wallet. :O)