Saturday, February 20, 2010

I figured it out

Have you ever noticed that a lot of families that have new babies also get new puppies? I always thought people like that were CRAZY! I mean come on...do you know how much work a baby is????

Today I had an epiphany and came up with a theory. I think Dad's sometimes have a harder time connecting with new babies at first. It's not that they don't like them, they just don't get as much joy from just sitting and holding and cuddling with them. At least my husband is like that. He really enjoys it when they get a little older and are more interactive with him. It's not that he doesn't enjoy holding her, but it's just different for dads. Besides that moms are usually doing the feeding and changing, etc. In addition Dad's attention from mom naturally decreases. Not only does Mom have a new baby to adore and dote on, they are also exhausted. The energy they have to put into the marriage relationship takes a dive for a little bit. (Call me a bad wife...but I'm sorry, something's gotta give until you can come up with a new equilibrium...)

So what does Dad do?

Get a new puppy to dote on. Because you see, puppies are interactive from the get go. They are instantly endearing with all their puppiness and you don't have to wait for them to play with you until they get older. Dad now has something to spend his time and attention on while mom takes care of the baby. A dog is, after all, a man's best friend.

No comments: