Monday, April 25, 2011

Why does it smell like the Turkey is still in the Oven?

So when I was a kid we used to have fire drills all the time. We'd get everyone together, all go out to the mailbox, talk about what we would do in the middle of the night, etc. etc. So when I was in 6th or 7th grade we had a little incident. My mom would put turkey bones on to boil after we had a turkey to make soup with. Well this particular time she forgot about the turkey bones and just went to bed. I remember waking up in the middle of the night because the fire alarm was going off and something was STINKY! I went into the kitchen and there were the turkey bones...flaming on the stove. So what do I do? I turned off the oven, went downstairs to the family room and went back to sleep with a pillow over my head so I couldn't hear the alarm or smell the smoke. Brilliant I know.

My mom got up later and couldn't figure out why the turkey was black, but still sparking, the oven was off and I wasn't in my bed.

Anyway, I've always caught a lot of flack for that. Well, last night we had a turkey dinner. I put the bones on to boil after we carved the turkey so we could make soup. We had friends over and of course the story was retold again. Funny funny. We cleaned up, they left and I was exhausted. Off to bed with me before 10 pm. I woke up a little after 1 am as usual. (Being pregnant I can't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours at a time right now. Blah.) Anyway, I got up, went to the bathroom and tried to go back to sleep. But Joey was snoring and the house still really smelled like turkey. I don't love sleeping with food smell in the first place, but it's way worse when I'm pregnant. I couldn't figure out why it smelled like we were still cooking when we'd pulled it out of the oven 9 hours earlier. Maybe 45 minutes later I finally decided I was going to try the couch. I walked out, peeked in the kitchen and a lightbulb went off. I had almost burned down the house with the turkey bones. There was still water it in, but barely!

I couldn't help but laugh at the irony. At least I'm pretty confident now that I wouldn't have taken more precautions than simply turning off the oven.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

LOVE the story Kristy! It's a good one! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

I totally did that not too long ago. Yup, I left the turkey bones boiling on the stove, but forgot about it and I'm in the shower and Peyton comes in and says, "the house is really smoky and stinky mom." I had a lid on it, but the water had boiled down and I had the stinky burned turkey smell in the house for days!! I feel your pain! Love your story though from when you were younger!